Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Collections

I wanted to post on this subject for a while, but just haven't had the time to devote to it. So I decided to give myself a little Internet time tonight and get it done.

I love antique fans, duh... I like collecting them, but I don't like just collecting them, I like restoring them, watching them run, and talking about them. Pretty much anything to do with them I like.

I read a post on the AFCA Fan Forum the other day that asked, something to the effect of, "How Many In Your Collection????" I was naturally drawn to it out of curiosity, but after reading the many posts and looking at the photos I was reminded of something that I don't like. I don't like the fact some people think because they don't have many fans they aren't as important. I also don't like people thinking that because they don't own a gyro or pre 1900's pancake that they are not "elite".

I have talked to folks and I know these feelings exist. I can see how some would get to feeling that way. There aren't that many who have collections like Dr. G. I know that the feeling can be harmful to others interested in the hobby that perhaps cannot afford the harder to find fans. Let's be careful to not show favoritism to anyone on the forum or otherwise. Careful with the course joking, text can misrepresent feelings and intentions. I'd also like to say that if you are prone to the feelings, give people a second chance they can be misunderstood.

I want to go on record as saying I am not accusing anyone, but I want us all to monitor ourselves and lets try to be nice.

Collections aren't near as much fun unless they are shared.

Later,
LH

2 comments:

wiskeylizard said...

I agree!

Chris said...

Very well said, and I have to agree. Sadly though, there is also a similar attitude to collectors who are outside North America (specifically the USA). Being a young Aussie collector, I've noticed such an attitude is very common among the "elite" collectors in the USA - though it seems to span over most hobbies, not just fan collecting.