Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My First Polar Cub


Say what you will about eBay, but I have to say one thing in it's defense... It provides guys like me that don't get the opportunity to buy fans that often a better chance. Take for example this little AC Gilbert Polar Cub. I got on ebay the other day and saw it. I have seen many Polar Cubs pass my way, but none (save the occasional Mysto) ever jumped out at me. This little jewel found it's way on my watch list along with another I will tell you about later. I had a reminder on my outlook to check back closer to bid time.

Time rolled around, I logged in and noticed no significant increase in price since initial contact so I bid. My bid ended unchallenged! Cue adrenaline!!!! YET ANOTHER VICTORY FOR BARGAIN HUNTING FAN COLLECTORS EVERYWHERE! Well it was for me anyway. It just goes to show you that if you won't be stupid and pay those ridiculous prices for fans the prices will come down. People who are in it just for the money will lose interest and the true fan loving collectors can roam freely in their native land once again.

The fan came in yesterday. My wife and kids just loved how tiny it was, you would have thought I was holding a puppy. I had to do some work on it though. First the motor was mounted on the base backward. The cord hole was in the front of the base, "WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!" The eBay seller said something about the hole being for a switch... I knew better. Perhaps that is one reason not many folks bid on the fan thinking it was missing a part. I switched that around. I fed the cord through top of the base and the hole at the bottom like it was originally intended to be. Finally the cage was on sideways. I rotated it 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Boom Baby! Peace, Harmony, and Love for the universe.

Thanks for reading my junk. Let me hear from you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you still collect vintage fans?

Larry Hancock said...

You bet. How can I help.

lhcompserv@charter.net

turboseventhree said...

I'm just getting into the collection. Moved out my grandparents and found my great-grandfathers old polar cub fan. Nothing special, just a 10 incher. But a question is is there an area to oil the fan? I have a cool fascination for these old fans

Larry Hancock said...

On my fan there are two oil spouts one at the front of the motor and one at the back. Put a couple drops in each one.