Friday, September 22, 2006

Fanning With Family



My dearest brother came to visit last weekend and brought a couple fans up for me. One was an Emerson 77648 TE and the other was this little 10 inch Hunter that you see on the left.

He had been leary to plug either of them in, but I am always willing (if there is no bare spots in the cords and sometimes even then...) So after establishing that they both "worked", we sized up the quality.

First the Emerson, the blades were so out of balance that the thing literally jumped across my carport floor. Next the Hunter, this fan ran as quiet as I have come to expect Hunters to. However, I did find that there is something internally wrong with the oscillator. No matter how we adjusted the tension control, it would stop oscillating at the same point.

We took the fans down into the "Fan Cave". I really wanted to give them both a little attention to see if we could make them better. My brother told me that he had fully intended on restoring the Hunter. I was a little shocked. He had helped me work on a Hunter of mine once, so I have been gradually excited as he expressed more and more interest in the hobby. So I told him to start taking the Hunter apart, keeping up with all the screws and internal parts. Once he had disassembled the fan, I gave him further instruction on prepping the parts for paint the next day. While he followed my instructions, I set about balancing the 648's blades. I grabbed my Sharpie and my channel locks and I went at it. About two hours later, I had the thing running as smooth as I could without a stobe. My brother had the parts ready for paint.

The next day we found the paint we wanted to use at Auto Zone. He finished the painting in one afternoon. I think our patience level proves our relation. I told him the more time your spend on the details, the better it will look. He pointed out something very true, that this was not an extremely rare fan so it was not worth a tremendous effort. Wise Dave!

Having said all this, I will say some more. The hobby of fans is more fun when you have someone else who likes it to share it with. I know what you are thinking, that is the whole premise of the AFCA... Yes except in my case, I cannot afford to travel to some of the regionals. Most are too far away. I hope to visit the "Barn" in November. Maybe Dave will go with me.

Anyway, I digress. Here are some photos of the finished Hunter that we "finished" in under two days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job Larry.

What did yall do to the cage on the hunter if anything?

Buddy

Larry Hancock said...

We used SOS pads on it. There is only so much you can do with a fan like that.