Sunday, August 27, 2006

Westinghouse Whirlwind

Sometimes in my "eBay time" I run across a fan that just speaks to me.

Take this one for example. Just a little over a couple weeks ago, I was surfing and I almost passed it by. It screamed at me, "LARRY! HELP ME!" I replied, "Okay little fan. I will do what I can." Long story even longer... I bought it and the dutiful postal service sent it my way.

After I won the auction, I noticed that the seller did not accept PayPal. Bummer... I had our bank runner at work go get me a money order. No biggie, I just hate the wait.

Yesterday my daughter came in from playing with her friend and she was carrying this little jewel. I impatiently opened it up. I pulled it out and thought, "Man! This guy wasn't kidding when he said it needed a new cord." I thought I would be brave and plug it in anyway. Mistake! POP!!!! It reminded me of the time I blew a headwire on one of my Northwinds.

Later... In the fan cave...

Dr Larry carefully disassembles the little Whirlwind. I surveyed the damage and got all my tools and wiring accessories out. After a few minutes I had the fan reassembled and ready to plug in. Tension builds, Moment of truth. It did whril, but it made a terrible racket. Nurse! Oil! A few drops and the beaut was stealth. Well, not quite, but much better.

Then looked at the bottom. The original felt was long gone. So I got out some of my green felt and a sharpie. I trace around the base, cut it out, and with a little spray adhesive, we were in business.

Well little fan, you're home. Take you place.

Later,
LH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well done doctor

buddy

Katie said...

Hey Larry,
Thanks for the fan you gave me. I keep meaning to take a pic and send it to you. It looks great in my little old house. :) And it runs well! -Katie

Larry Hancock said...

You're so welcome Katie! It makes me happy that you like it. I look forward to the picture.