Friday, July 28, 2006

Forging Through

After my Westinghouse Disaster, I have been fighting to get back on the fan horse. I have gained perspective from others in the club and learned that these fans are just difficult. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Some very important things that I have learned in fan work (restoration and maintenance):
1. Know what portions of your project are pot metal ahead of time. Pot metal is very fragile at this age especially.
2. Always consult an expert on your potential project before you begin to learn the pitfalls and how to avoid them.
3. Take your time! Don't rush because you will make mistakes that you cannot undo.

I have decided to do a rewire on a fan I am more familiar with. An R&M 3804. I will post a pictures when I get finished.

Thanks to all you folks for reading my blog! The numbers are encouraging. Tell your friends and feel free to ask questions or leave comments here.

Later,
LH

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you get the Westy rotor turning??

Larry Hancock said...

No. I decided to leave it alone. I fear that I have damaged the fan beyond repair.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about rotors and stators but sounds like it might be an alignment problem??

Any clue it the stator is seated properly??

Buddy