Friday, July 28, 2006

Forging Through

After my Westinghouse Disaster, I have been fighting to get back on the fan horse. I have gained perspective from others in the club and learned that these fans are just difficult. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Some very important things that I have learned in fan work (restoration and maintenance):
1. Know what portions of your project are pot metal ahead of time. Pot metal is very fragile at this age especially.
2. Always consult an expert on your potential project before you begin to learn the pitfalls and how to avoid them.
3. Take your time! Don't rush because you will make mistakes that you cannot undo.

I have decided to do a rewire on a fan I am more familiar with. An R&M 3804. I will post a pictures when I get finished.

Thanks to all you folks for reading my blog! The numbers are encouraging. Tell your friends and feel free to ask questions or leave comments here.

Later,
LH

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Westinghouse Blues

Not since my 646 have I met such frustration. Like that guy Stanley Johnson said, "Somebody help me."

I wrestled with the stator. Finally removed it. Rewired it. Reinstalled it then the rotor. Now I can't get the rotor to turn freely. Thoughts? Anyone?

Man, I'll tell ya, I am ready to pitch this sucker.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Emerson Northwind 450



They're multiplying! I can't get enough of these fans. I think I like them cause they run like a scalded dog. That plus they oscillate so quickly, that is impressive to me too. Examining the innards of the motors, I noticed that the windings are held in with what appear to be finishing nails. I am sorry, I get tickled when I think about it. I like watching and listening to them they sound like little airplanes.

I now have three of these little boogers. I would like to try to get A through whatever.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

I Can't Believe I Did It...

Well the story starts out positive. Last night my wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary. She surprised me as always. She made a call and secured an Emerson Northwind 45o for me a gift. She gave it to me and I was overjoyed because you see, these fans are quickly becoming my favorite. There is just something that I love about them.

Anyway, We came home and I started messing with the fan. The first thing I always do check the cord for bare spots and then plug it in to see if it works. The fan started to turn then stopped suddenly. I quickly turned it off. Then my mind started to survey the evidence: Blades were free then stiff. First thought is the oscillator is bound up? Then I think maybe the motor tilt is too steep, causing the oscillator to jamb against the base. So I grab the wingnut and give a twist (just slightly). Thats when it happened. Half of the top of the neck just snapped off. My blood ran cold. I had killed a Northwind with my barehands. Forgive me oh fan god! Forgive me dear wife.

NEVER SAY DIE!!!! Even when it comes to potmetal... I scooped up the pieces of the broken Northwind. It was one clean break. I took it to my Fan ER. Nurse, Super Glue. I put on some gloves and set about setting the broken piece. After attempting to set it perfectly I finally did. Left it all night and all day today.

Today, after church, I ran by Lowes and grabbed some new glue called Gorilla glue because honestly, I thought the super glue would not hold long. Went home and began to reassemble the fan. The threads were very resistant and I knew the glue was just going to give way with the next twist as the tension grew(in me and on the bolt). Finally the fan was together and I had detached the oscillator arm. Someone had put a screw in there that was completely tightened down. I fired the fan up and it whirled to life. PARTY ON!!!

I like a challenge.

Monday, July 03, 2006

Project Hunter Completed


Here are some photos of my latest restoration. Thanks to Ken Bartlett, a fabricator at our shop, for welding the wires on the cage. Thanks to Kim Frank and Darryl Hudson for helpling and encouraging me. Thanks to my brother David for helping finish the project this weekend. While my painting isn't perfect, I can see it progressing.

I have had this fan longer than any besides my 646 that I recently restored. I learned a lot from this project. It was the first time I had attempted a tag restoration. It came out relatively well. I bought some NOS plugs off eBay and I used one of those for this job too. Thanks again to all involved.

Below are a few more pics. Some before and some after. Thanks for following the progress.

LH

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Western Electric Auction Ends.

Well, 4th of July is coming very soon and there are sure to be plenty fireworks ready to be enjoyed by all. However nothing can compare with the frenzied display during the last few minutes of the auction of the Western Electric bipolar fan. The fan seemed to quickly reach just over a thousand then leveled off for a few days. Cue all the snipers! Wow, I got to hand it to you fellas, that was quite a jump.

For those of you that missed it, the fan sold for $4,101.98. Tidy little sum for a rusted old machine that just blows air. (Hold on while I punish myself with a good hard pinch...OUCH!!!) Anyway someone out there is a lucky person. (Aside from being out 4k) Congrats whoever you are.

Oh!, and sorry Ron...

LH