Saturday, November 05, 2005

Gotta Love That Junior

Well you might recall from a previous post a story of when the wife and I went antiquing on a Saturday in a town about 30 miles from here. I gave you the laundry list of fans that found their way into my line of sight. One fan I mentioned was an Emerson Jr. It had been damaged severely.

Here is the reason I am bringing this up... I just couldn't get that fan out of my mind. I kept thinking about how I could have brought this fan home and fixed it and made it part of my collection. (Else it probably would have got a one way ticket to dumpster city.) That coupled with the desire I have always had for one of these red and black badged critters, I just had to have it.

It just so happens that I have a friend that works across the street from the shop where that little fan was. I broke down and asked him to get it for me next time he had to go to work. He agreed to do it. I waited patiently for an entire week for that little Jr to make it home. Friday came and I decided to give the guy a call. He said, "You didn't tell me to get it for sure..." I was thinking, "Yes I did." Oh well, I said, "Consider yourself authorized to purchase it." I had to wait another painful week. Finally the day came. Anticipation had me by the short hairs. I had to call. Just so happens my buddy took off early that day. He had stopped by Hobby Lobby. He said, "I got the fan." I said, "Yes!" He said, "Wagner, right?" I said, "$#%@ no!" After I explained his error, he told me that it might be difficult to switch, because dealers don't like to give refunds. He told me that he would try anyway. I waited what seemed like forever, before finally the phone rang and I answered to hear my squirrelly friend say, "score!" He said that it was in the same booth and was the same price so the guy didn't have a problem switching.

Later on I met up with him to give him some cash in trade for my prize. I threw it in the vehicle and drove home in a dash. That evening I brought the ugly duckling into my cave (workshop). I remove the cage and began to message it back to the shape it was meant to have. I got a pair of channel locks and gingerly reshaped the blades. Before I knew it, she was as straight as and arrow. A little oil and it was running great. Sweet!!!! Welcome Home.

No comments: