Thursday, November 24, 2005

GE Vortalex

If you want to see this fan, click on the My Fan Site link to the right and go to view my collection. I went to Paducah KY back in the summer with some friends and spent the night. While we were there, we went to some antique stores down on the riverfront. I found several fans, but nothing extravagant. I found this little fan for 20 dollars. I had wanted one for some time. I remember my Aunt Callie had one very similar to this one. I remember my Aunt Callie would always have wild cherry Bubble Yum bubble gum at church on Sunday morning. She gave me and my brother and sister each a silver dollar and a two dollar bill. I still have those. It has been years since she passed away, but I will never forget her. Back to the fan before I start to weep.

When I got it home, I plugged it up and turned it on. It only ran on the low speed. This burdened me somewhat, but since the base seemed to be riveted on, I didn't want to try to work on it until I understood more about riveting. Many fans later I discussed this little ge with a friend and we talked about the rivets that were keeping from repairing this little jewel. He told me that it wouldn't be a big deal to put new ones in. So with newfound courage to tear into it, I went home and started tinkering. I found that they weren't really rivets at all, but a strange kind of pin that splits at the end and clamps the base cover on.

With the base off, I set about removing the toggle switch and the speed coil. I cleaned them thoroughly with contact cleaner and plugged the fan in with the switch in the high position. It still wouldn't work. Cuss cuss. Then I seeing how the toggle switch worked I thought maybe there was some corrosion on the contacts that was really stubborn. I grabbed my screwdriver and started to scrape. Shortly thereafter the fan came to life on high speed. SCORE! I returned the base cover to the fan and put the pins in and I felt good again.

No comments: